Friday, December 18, 2009

Birthday Blog


Me and Thibaut

The snowman we made (Maria, Liam, Megan, Magda)


Leuven in Snow



The Stadhuis at night in snowfall

Francesco, Me, and Stefano

Matt and I

Me, Lauren, and Chase - the three December birthdays

Leah returning fire on those who bombarded her window

Megan making a snow angel

The courtyard during the snowfall

Hello everyone! I thought I would drop in one last quick blog before the end of my time here in Leuven this semester. This is my official Birthday Blog – that’s correct, I’m officially 21, and can now enjoy the wonderful world of alcohol. Though I must admit, it was quiet anticlimactic turning 21 in a place where the drinking age is 16, we the Loyola Huis celebrated anyway. We not only celebrated my birthday, but also Chase’s (on the 17th) and Lauren’s (on the 14th). We also enjoyed the festivities last night, so that no one would have to worry about catching our flight home on the 19th (we leave the huis at 6 am).

The morning of the 17th began just as any other in Belgium. In the recent weeks, the weather in Belgium had turned to bone-chillingly cold. It seems as if the stone cities welcome and trap the cold in their cobblestone roads. The temperature was so low and the wind so biting, that even simple tasks such as riding our bike back and forth from class have become laborious. Yesterday morning, the typical overcast hung over Leuven, blotting out the sun and stealing away any warmth that it would provide.

I woke up around 11 and was hustling around the huis, taking care of various chores in preparation of coming home, when I happened to gander out the window – it was snowing! Now we had been told that in Belgium it rarely gets below freezing and that it’s even rarer to see snow. However, as I looked out the window, I noticed large flakes falling, not just flurries or drops, but big, large full snowflakes – coming down hard.

Grabbing my camera, I went outside to take some pictures of the huis under snowfall. The snow was about an inch thick by the time I got outside, however, I wasn’t out there for more than 5 minutes, when slowly, the rest of the Loyola house began to make its way outside. Like bees to honey, before I knew it there were 15 people outside playing in the snow – building a snowman, making snowballs, throwing them at the windows of people inside writing papers.

Slowly, the playing and joking turned into making a snowman, and from that into a full-fledged snowball fight. We eventually ended up in a fight with the people from across the courtyard. They had wandered outside while we were having our own snowball fight and began to join in. Soon enough we had the Loyola huis vs. the opposite side of the courtyard. Unfortunately the people across the way had to learn the hard way that you don’t start a war with Americans in a game that is primarily based on throwing. The fight ended when Liam and I flanked the group, who was so startled that they literally ran into their house – a mission complete.

There’s something about snowfall that captivates people. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that freshly fallen snow has a peaceful effect that makes landscape and scenery appear more beautiful or that there is something in the snowfall the brings out the inner child in people, but that afternoon out in the snowfall was one of my favorite memories bonding with the gang – something I’ll always cherish. Before long we were tired from playing in the snow and soggy from the snowball fight, so we all head inside to warm our fingers and toes.

Later that night, we held a celebration in the common room to celebrate the three December birthdays. Then those of us brave enough to venture out into Leuven (with nearly 4 inches of snow on the ground!) slipped and slid down to the Oude Markt for the evening – apparently Belgium’s about as good as Baltimore when it comes to handling the snow.

Though it was icy and bitter cold, the warmth of our fellowshipped carried us all out together. As we enjoyed all the “world’s longest bar” has to offer, we finally concluded our first semester here in Leuven.

No comments:

Post a Comment